– The reported availability of one of football’s emerging stars as soon as 2020 is causing growing interest among top European clubs. 19-year-old Jadon Sancho is said to be eyed by Spanish giants Real Madrid and both Manchester Clubs City and United.
The English international has been in the headlines as rumors won’t end speaking about him possibly leaving his current German club Borussia Dortmund as early as next summer.
“You don’t need to be a prophet to foresee that Jadon won’t play in our shirt the next five years,” Dortmund sports director Michael Zorc commented in advance of the Blacks and Yellows group-game in the Champions League against Slavia Prague this Wednesday evening.
Next to the club’s current sportive crisis caused by poor results and coach Lucien Favre under fire, Sancho is an additional explosive topic.
Zorc rejected the latest critics of English national coach Gareth Southgate who indicated joining Dortmund was the wrong choice made by the promising youngster. “I doubt that his development would have been similar well at a top English side,” Zorc stressed.
Southgate said Sancho might have improved better when playing for one of the so-called big sons of English football in the Premier League. “He is somehow off the radar as far as his performance is concerned and due to the club, he is playing for,” Southgate had complained.
Zorc replied Borussia was the ideal place for the winger to improve as “we gave him the chance to play and had confidence in his potential.” The former midfielder added he is in doubt if English clubs would have paid the same attention.
Zorc praised Sancho’s determination to reach a higher level as “he might have already have broken several records but still continues to work hard. He is not leaning back, enjoying what he already achieved but is ambitious to play successful football.”
Sancho joined the German side in 2017 signing a contract until 2022 after being educated in the Citizens Youth department. Not allowing him to leave was the only decision valid for the last transfer period, Zorc added. “We know the big clubs are not blind,” he commented.
A final decision about Sancho’s future has not yet been made, Zorc said. It is an open secret that the forward is thinking about leaving within the next years. Dortmund is said to demand over 100 million euros for the 8 times capped footballer.
Sancho has become the youngest Bundesliga player to score 15 goals, breaking the 52-year-old Bundesliga record this September. The London-born professional became the best supplier of all European leagues this season.
Sancho is presumably England’s most exciting young player and any move to Old Trafford would see him unite with international team-mates such as Jesse Lingard and Marcus Rashford.
Four goals in eight appearances so far this season shows he is continuing to improve and with United having lost quality in attack with Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez — both departing without replacements, United will look at Sancho as the player to transform their fortunes.
A possible United deal would be increasingly difficult if the club fails to secure Champions League football.
Sancho’s advisors are said to be ‘far from convinced’ that Old Trafford is a smart landing spot for a player that is one of Europe’s most wanted talents several English media are reporting.
Dortmund said they didn’t receive offers at present and won’t ask for any. “We are happy to have him around, and he is a vital part of our squad,” Zorc emphasized adding Sancho isn’t yet done with the Blacks and Yellows.