Concern as large fire nears Chernobyl, 400 firefighters called in

After the disaster, a large tract of land around the plant was designated as a forbidden zone and ordinary people were completely prohibited from entering it for decades.

Authorities in Ukraine are insisting that a fire near the Chernobyl nuclear plant is no cause for concern.

According to reports, senior emergency service official said there was “no threat” to the plant, while deputy interior minister Anton Gerashchenko insisted: “Everything will be fine”.

As of Tuesday morning, over 400 personnel, including 100 fire-fighting vehicles are battling the blaze.

Local CID arrested a 27-year-old man and accused him of starting the fire last week.

According to Greenpeace Russia, one of the blazes is just 1,000 metres from the main plant.

The Kiev Post reports that the Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has said he would like to hear a report on raging forest fires in the Chornobyl zone as “the public must know the truth.”

The Chernobyl NPP, some 110 km north of Kiev, witnessed one of the worst nuclear accidents in human history on April 26, 1986. After the disaster, a large tract of land around the plant was designated as a forbidden zone and ordinary people were completely prohibited from entering it for decades.

WORLD

New Chernobyl roof to be fitted this year

May 3, 2019 admin 0

A new protective cover, erected in November 2016, over the destroyed Chernobyl nuclear reactor No.4 will be put into operation this fall, the Ukrainian government-run Ukrinform news agency reported on Thursday, citing a senior official. […]

Featured

Chernobyl, the new holiday Mecca

February 15, 2019 admin 0

FOR MOST people the thought of taking a vacation in a nuclear fallout zone is the stuff of nightmares. But, it seems that the Ukrainian town of Chernobyl is literally becoming a tourist hot spot. […]

About Famagusta Gazette 61 Articles
Famagusta Gazette keeps readers up-to-date on all regional and global news in regular updates.