Tourism: Egyptian hotels start to operate at 50 percent capacity

Egyptian hotels, which has reopened for local tourists last month, started on Monday to offer restaurant and day-use services at 50 percent capacity, the country’s Antiquities and Tourism Ministry reported in a statement.

“The move aims to boost domestic tourism amid worldwide lockdowns that have affected the industry of hospitality, one of Egypt’s main sources of hard currency,” said assistant to the minister of tourism and antiquities Abdel-Fattah El-Assi in a statement.

Hotels were reopened to accommodate guests at a 25 percent capacity in May.

The occupancy rates in May reached 8 percent in South Sinai province, 13 percent in Red Sea province, 25 percent in Ain Sokhna city and Suez province, 25 percent in Alexandria, 4 percent in the north coast cities and 9 percent in the capital Cairo, according to the statement.

Over the past two weeks 78 hotels in eight governorates have received the “Hygiene Safety” certificate required for reopening after fulfilling the regulations announced by the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities and approved by the cabinet in accordance with the standards of the World Health Organisation (WHO), El-Assi said.

He added that 94 more hotels have applied for the safety certificate.

According to Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly, as of mid-June, the government will announce a gradual resumption of several activities, including sporting clubs and youth centers, as well as worship places while following precautionary measures against the virus.

The government will also consider the possibility of a gradual return of in-house dining at restaurants and aviation resumption with strict measures later in June.

Egypt has until Sunday recorded 24,985 positive cases.

Hotel services, including restaurants, night clubs and pools, have been closed to the public since March to contain the coronavirus pandemic. Egypt’s airspace has also been closed to international commercial flights since March 19.