About 20 civilians killed in gunmen attack in Burkina Faso

About 20 civilians lost their lives in an attack by unidentified gunmen on Friday in the northeast Sahel region in Burkina Faso, a security source told Xinhua on Saturday.

According to the source, a group of gunmen carried out the attack at the Tin-Akoff locality, the Oudalan province in the deadly attack prone Sahel region.

“They killed about 20 people and injured many others,” said the source in the capital Ouagadougou.

One member of the Volunteers for the Defense of the Motherland, armed civilians backing Burkina Faso army, underscored that the attackers came in a large number on motorbikes in the village and shot at the crowds.

The assault occured days after a series of deadly attacks hit Burkina Faso. Earlier this week, 25 civilians and 11 terrorists died in an attack in the East of the country, a government statement read.

Since 2015, terrorist attacks have been recurrent in Burkina Faso. As of March 31, 2021, the country has registered 1,147,699 displaced people nationwide due to the turmoil.