Cyprus President Says Recent Attacks Target Only British Bases

Cyprus President Nikos Christodoulides said Thursday that all attacks recorded on the island so far have targeted only the British Sovereign Base Areas and not the Republic of Cyprus.

In an interview with Greece’s Skai television, Christodoulides said the incidents originated from Lebanon and that he remains in constant contact with the Lebanese president.

He said Cyprus’ own defense systems have been significantly upgraded and that the island also benefits from protection provided by the United Kingdom and by agreements with other European states.

Christodoulides described the deployment of Greek frigates and fighter aircraft to Cyprus as one of the most significant developments in the history of the Republic.

He said the decision followed a Cypriot request for support in specific areas and coordination between the Greek prime minister and the two countries’ defense ministries.

The president added that it is the first time he has seen such a level of response and cooperation from the European Union, noting that this applies both to EU institutions and to member states.

Famagusta Gazette