Two people wanted by Belgian and Dutch authorities on fraud charges have been tracked down and arrested in Cyprus, in a joint operation involving Cypriot police and Europol.
The suspects, aged 34 and 45, were detained under European Arrest Warrants during the coordinated action on July 7, which drew on more than 30 Cypriot officers alongside Europol personnel and investigators from Belgium and the Netherlands.
Police said the operation targeted financial and online fraud cases dating back to 2023, which had been under investigation by authorities in both countries.
Officers carried out searches at homes, offices and other premises across the island, seizing a large quantity of evidence. The two suspects were brought before Limassol District Court, which has opened extradition proceedings to send them to Belgium.
A third person was arrested separately within the British Bases, during related searches carried out by base police.
Cyprus Police said the operation drew on several specialist units, including its Office for European Investigation Orders and Judicial Assistance Requests, the Crime Combating Department, the Electronic Data Forensics Laboratory, and Limassol’s CID and rapid-response teams.
